Keep Em’ Safe

Keep Em’ Safe

I don’t know about you, but I love the 4th of July! With the fireworks, parades, and sun; it really just doesn’t get much better than that. Unfortunately for my pups, this is their worst nightmare. The loud sounds and crowded places are just about the cruelest combination for these two cuties.

Finn and Murphy Unleashed Life Blog Post(Finn and Murphy)

Safety is obviously a huge concern during this holiday, and I wanted to share some tips to protect your pets during all the activities.

Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. As most of us turn into pyromaniacs on this holiday, we need to be extra cautious to keep these dangerous items out of reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.

Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.

Keep pets indoors. They may even feel safer if they are placed in a smaller interior room with a radio/tv playing. If you cant keep them indoors, make sure to check your fence line for loose boards or openings that your dog could slip through or dig out of.  Also, make sure that you pets’ tags and identification are all up to date just in case they become escape artists.  Remember, while we know what a firework sounds like, animals do not.  So keep your little guys safe from the loud unfamiliar sounds. They will appreciate it!

Take your pet for a walk or play date before the fireworks start. This allows your dog to exercise, spend time with you, and, of course, go “potty”. This will also help them release some energy before the fireworks, and hopefully help with anxiety!

Keep alcoholic beverages out of reach from your pet. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.

Remember all of these helpful tips during the holiday weekend, and have lots of fun with your four legged friends!

 

Share this post


25% Off ALL BOWLS! · Free Shipping on Orders $75+ Dismiss